Gozo Channel Company Limited operates Ferry Services for the carriage of Dangerous Goods. The carriage of Dangerous Goods is complicated and difficult and the following is only intended as guidelines for the Company’s Customers. Full details of the regulations are contained in the IMDG Code which should be followed at all times.
GOZO CHANNEL TREATS THE CARRIAGE OF DANGEROUS GOODS IN TWO WAYS:
THESE APPLY TO BOTH PASSENGER AND CARGO MODE SAILINGS:
DANGEROUS GOODS ITEMS
THE SERVICE IS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED FOR ANY MATERIALS AND SUBSTANCES LISTED IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARITIME DANGEROUS GOODS (IMDG) CODE AMONG WHICH ARE:
CARRIAGE OF ACETYLENE SHIPPER'S REQUIREMENTS
- Acetylene cylinders are to be carried in bundles, provided with suitable cages in a vertical position. Securing to be in accordance to IMO/ILO/UNECE guidelines for packaging of cargo transport units.
- All cylinders are to be of certified construction and subject to periodical testing and inspection.
- Shipper is to ensure that all valves are proper, closed and submit a declaration to this effect. All cylinders are to be provided with a removable cap, properly secured over valve.
- Cylinders to be loaded in transport units which can shield cylinders from direct sunlight but allow easy access for inspection and can be opened once onboard the vessel – eg transport units with canvas sides.
- The packaging is to be in accordance with IMDG Part 4- P200 and / or the directive 2010/35/EU of the European Parliament and of the council of the 16th June 2010 for transportable pressure equipment and repeqaling Council directives 76/767/EEC, 84/525EEC, 84/526/EEC, 84/527?EEX ND 1999/36?EC, also know as TPED Directive.
- The cylinders are to have evidence of:
- Certification in accordance with the TPED Directive.
- Periodic 10 year inspection in accordance with the R1DG code or the TPED Directive by an EU Council accredited Notified Body.
- Transport units and bottles are to be correctly marked in accordance with Part 5.2 and 5.3 of the IMDG code.
- Gozo Channel approved distributors are to submit every 6 months an inventory of all bottles, together with serial number, TPED certificate number and inspection status.
- Transport units loaded with cylinders to be at the jetty designated parking area 24 hours prior to the departure.
The carriage of explosives is not permitted on any of the Gozo Channel ferry services.